Monday, December 6, 2010

OUCH!

Last week was a little too eventful. Tuesday night especially. First, Henley tossed our phone into the toilet. A couple minutes later, Hazel slammed the bathroom door. Unfortunately, Henley's left pinky was in the door jam.

OUCH!

Thankfully, my good friend Femeke had just arrived to pick up Andrin (Beau wasn't home yet). She helped me (in a state of shock) to create a make-shift bandage for the tiny pinky and nearly severed tip. A quick dose of ibuprofen, and I hurried him out to the car. Femeke stayed behind to wait for Beau to arrive. It was a LONG drive, Henley cried through most of it. My heart ached and my head spun. A quick call to another friend, and I knew were to go. Urgent Care here we come.

I have always had the biased opinion that my Henley is amazing. The doctor and nurse that helped us, in addition to the receptionist and x-ray tech, confirmed my opinion. Henley was a trooper! He only cried a little when he got his two numbing shots in his finger. During the stitching (5 sutures total), he froze. He held so miraculously STILL. The doctor and nurse claimed to never have seen a child of his age be that content. I do have to admit he fared much better than me. I was on the brink of tears myself many more times than Henley.

Since Tuesday, Henley has been rather unfazed by the bandage on his pinky. He loves the taste of his strawberry antibiotics. The rest of us have struggled more with it all then the little man. Hazel is emotional, and we keep making sure she knows that Henley is fine and we just have to be more careful. I have a little PTSD. Anytime I hear a door slam (or even shut) I jump. Thankfully, at our follow-up with Henley's pediatrician, the finger tip was examined and it looked quite likely that he will not lose the fingertip. That was a concern when leaving Urgent Care. Instead, his little body is healing itself perfectly. Amazing. He did lose his fingernail, it came off two nights ago. It will re-grow as the nail bed looks viable. It may be disfigured, but I suppose Henley will use that to his advantage over the years. Maybe get his sister to feel bad and do chores for him? Or maybe brag to his buddies about how he almost lost his finger at 14 months of age?

I hope that was my last Urgent Care trip for awhile. I am grateful for the care we received, but I don't intend to become a regular. Do you hear that Henley...and Hazel???

My little trooper and I as we await the sutures. The x-ray's had just confirmed that he lost the tip of his pinky bone too.

No comments: