Monday, December 6, 2010

Civil War Relay 2010

Yesterday, Beau and I completed the 2010 Civil War Relay! I hadn't ever done anything like this before. What an experience. I was delirious with my sleepiness by 8:30 pm last night.

This is what went down...

A 52 mile course from Eugene to Albany. The course is broken up into 25 legs, and each team has five runners. I was runner 1 and Beau was runner 2 for our team. I started us off bright and early at 8:00 am. It was COLD and I was NERVOUS! I was most fearful of losing my way, but thankfully I didn't.

It proved to be a great experience. I visited a few too many portable toilets, and Beau worked out his leg kinks. We ran with two nice guys, Josh and Ken, and a fellow co-worker, Jamie. (Jamie bailed us out by joining the team at the very last minute!)

The best part of the event was knowing that our DUCKS are headed to the National Championship. That knowledge alone helped me to trudge along and attempt to keep my pace. Next year? Maybe!!

Beau stretches after his 1st leg.

It was always great to get the "toot-toot" and "wooo hooo" from the team van as they passed.

Getting ready for leg #2. My 2nd leg was my longest at 2.5 miles, but it was also my favorite. My legs had warmed up a little and Coburg road was beautiful. I saw a rainbow (not a double) and llamas. A few road-kills, but who's counting?


Whew! Two runs done, THREE to go. (10:40 am)
Beau tags Josh after finishing his 3rd leg.
I enjoyed this team name, "All Ducked up on Quack."

Ken comes in to tag Jamie after his 4th leg.

Jamie is OFF!

Beau is all smiles as he nears his finish! Five runs in one day, not too shabby!
Done at last! (3:00 pm)
Meanwhile, as we ran our day away...our kids were ALL being cared for by (SAINT) Julie!!
Papa's Pizza for lunch.

A trip to the park.

Henley doted on by a few extra sisters.

Sleeping in Macey's caring arms.
***
An adventure for sure. We had a great time, and know that our kids had a great time with Julie, Macey and Kat. I find myself thinking ahead to future relays... Beau, are you in?

No comments: