Saturday, January 8, 2011

FOURTEEN YEARS!

It HAD been over 14 years since I had donned a pair of skis and taken to the slopes.

No more! Bruce surprised me with an all expense paid trip up Mount Spokane last week. I was so nervous! Nervous I had forgotten my technique and would fall flat on my face. But, I was also NERVOUS for the cold. In all my years skiing in Oregon, never had I skied in single digit temps. It was COLD.

However, once I got myself chipped off the lift at the top of the first chair, it all started coming together. WHAT A BLAST! I will NEVER go that long again between ski trips. In fact, I MAY have Beau convinced we will someday be a skiing family. :)

We live less than an hour from our own slope...so no excuses. My back held up (that was why I gave it up years ago) and my thighs burned incredibly, but they didn't stop me from racing down the hills. My one fall...well, it didn't hurt anything but my pride. It was in the FLAT lift line. I lost my balance while Bruce and I waited our turn. He thought that was funny. I thought it was even more funny three runs later when it was BRUCE who fell in the lift line. He wasn't nearly as graceful as I.

Here are some pictures that Bruce took from his phone. What a fun day. Thank you BRUCE!

Bruce, Seth and I ready to hit the mountain. It was -6 when we left the house.
Hard to tell, but that is Bruce and I. The face mask SAVED me. Thanks Roberta for letting me borrow it. The two runs I tried without nearly cost me a nose.

BEAUTIFUL snow drenched trees.

Perfect snow, if you ask me. It was like a dream. The snow was magical, my body didn't fail me, and I even got to drink beer on our lunch break!
(Last time I skied I wasn't legal!)
Now that was FUN. I am ready to go again...

No comments: