Saturday, October 10, 2009

Daddy's Quarantine

There is nothing about a child's birth that can be completely planned out. As much as I wished I could have controlled more of Henley's birth day, the reality is so much of the occasion was completely out of my control. One factor I didn't even THINK about was my husband's participation and HEALTH.

Well, what I had taken for granted as a GIVEN, turned out to be the biggest piece of Henley's birth that was out of my control. Beau was quite ill the day that Henley arrived. He was barely able to be present in the delivery room, and could only be there with mask on and hands sanitized regularly. He stayed about as far from me during the labor process as he could and still be in the room. This wasn't what I imagined! He rested, he took his Advil like a champ, but still...he felt AWFUL. I don't think he even let me know just how awful he felt. When it came time for Henley's arrival, Beau was at my side (mast intact) and gave me all the support I needed. Thank you Beau!

Post-delivery, Beau headed home, leaving his newborn son and wife behind at the hospital. I KNOW that had to have been such a difficult drive home for a number of reasons.

Our friends rallied to help us out over the next few days. Hazel had her first sleepover (two nights), Beau was taken to the doctor, our car was driven back to the hospital for us, and a camper was lent for us to use as Beau's quarantine headquarters! It was a trying time, but now that Beau is back in the land of the living, is able to hold his son without a mask, and is back sleeping in our home...I know that we would do it all again in a heartbeat. (Our friends would back us up again too, for that we are so grateful.) Our son is here and he is healthy!

Friends brought over their camper for Beau to use, so that Henley and I could come home.


Someday we will look back on these pictures and laugh at the situation.
Julie showed up with a care-package for quarantined Beau - complete with this sign, chocolate chip cookies, pens, activity books, photo of Henley, masks, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and an energy drink.

Beau ventures out for a quick photo.

1 comment:

Femeke said...

I am so glad that you are able to function like a family again! It really was not what you both wished for and it must have been difficult for Beau and you, Becky!