Sunday, March 22, 2009

The JOY of chalk

Spring arrived on Friday, though after showers of hail, snow and rain today...I am still not sure if Winter is really gone. Hmm.

A few weeks ago I bought Hazel a tub of sidewalk chalk. I have been waiting and waiting for an opportune (dry) day to break out the chalk and let Hazel go crazy. Today, I saw a brief break in the clouds, could it be sun? Mom, Hazel and I rushed into shoes and sweatshirts and headed outside, bucket of chalk in hand. Hazel LOVED it!!

The break in weather lasted a brief 5 minutes, but in that time Hazel created quite the masterpiece on our front walk. I am soooo ready for summer and sunshine, afternoons spent watching Hazel color to her hearts content on the sidewalk.

Hazel anxiously waits while I open up the bucket of chalk.

She decides to start with pink.

The first stroke (of genius?)

A bow tie? A fish? Either way, such precision for 18 months.

All done with pink, Hazel politely puts it away.

Green? Blue? Should I be a two fisted drawer?

Such concentration.

Hazel doesn't care the surface isn't smooth - more texture adds to her design.

On to yellow now.

Tired of being polite - they all come tumbling out!

Yep, got them all out.

So many choices, so little time (before the hail comes rushing in).

Mad dash inside - the hail is nearly here!

3 comments:

Femeke said...

Becky - I love your pictures! And I am glad that Mommy finally gets to put little bows in Hazel's hair :)

Craig and Bethany said...

LOVE IT! Can't wait to get chalk out and color up a storm here too. :)

The Lochheads said...

I bet it's so fun for you to see Hazel begin her artistic expression! I love seeing it as well. We too, are itching for spring...we've been sick for the last two weeks, so warm sunshine can not come fast enough!!! Have a great week with your family! Love to you all--LE