Hazel, Holden and I were minding our own business on a rather busy road in Eugene a few weeks ago, when I very quickly found myself in the middle of a police chase and subsequent STAND-OFF. Police cars literally appeared all around at a major intersection (it was a red light and I could see some lights coming behind, so I had gotten over to the far right shoulder). The two motorcycles being pursued were wedged in around me, the back bike literally an arms length out my driver window.
Officers flew out of their cars and were instantly pointing GUNS as the three people on the two motorcycles. The gun pointed at the man next to my car could have easily been pointed right at me, as I was directly behind him.
It seriously was a moment of, "What do I do?"
I called Beau.
He said, "Uhh...duck?"
I didn't. Instead, I slowly put the car in reverse and very very gently eased back about a cars length, until my rear tires couldn't go any further.
Above is a picture I took after moving back, you can see on the left the motorcycle that was right outside my window! Imagine a guy on it with a gun pointed at him! Me in the background eyes wide open thinking "is that a real gun or is it a taser?" (It was a gun.)
THANKFULLY, no shots were fired. The riders didn't put up too much of a fight, and I was able to get out of the situation relatively quickly. An officer directed me in backing out of the situation, (after the motorcycle riders were in cuffs). I had to drive in reverse over a block to the detour that had been decured. My hands were SHAKING, heart was RACING. Thankful to get out of there!
Oh, and after I texted the above picture to Beau, his response, "Take more pictures!"
He is most jealous that he wasn't along for the adventure as COPS is one of his favorite shows. No thanks!
Later that night, I submitted the photo to the local news station and they ended up using it on a few of their stories regarding the incident. Article #1 Article #2
Unfortunately, Hazel was sitting directly behind me through all this. (Holden sleeping like the baby he is.) She saw it all, and can replicate the stance the officers took, feet spread and arms out with the gun aimed at the "bad guys." Her biggest concern after all this, wasn't for her own safety. It was for the families of the "bad guys." She was sad for them since they would miss their "bad guy" family members.
No more drama for this mama please!!
1 comment:
Wow, What a crazy world we live in! I would of been too freaked out to take a pic :). Glad you are all safe. Love to you all xxx
Post a Comment