Friday, February 19, 2010

Backpack up Pisgah...

We have been enjoying some beautiful sunshine over the past few days, and took advantage of the sunshine by taking an afternoon hike up Mt. Pisgah with Femeke, Andrin and Andrin's Oma (Grandma) who is visiting from Switzerland. Henley was secured on Femeke's mom in the Ergo, and he settled in quite nicely...he knew she was a well skilled grandmother! I loaded Hazel into the backpack and then - sigh - onto my back! Whew!! Femeke did the same with Andrin, and we were off...

It was a beautiful day...perfect day for huffing and puffing up the mountain. Femeke and her mother were amazing, and I did my best to keep up with two skilled Swiss hikers! It is as if they come from a land of mountains or something??

Here are some photos from the tip top of Pisgah, I am still impressed that I made it all the way with my toddler squirming on my back. Next time, Beau will come along as he has those broad shoulders that are just perfect for hauling our children.

Our group met up with a kind family originally from Germany. (They just moved to Oregon a few weeks ago.) They were nice enough to take a photo of all of us.

I loved watching Andrin's Oma snuggling Henley...he was all smiles!

Andrin, Femeke and Hazel happy to be at the top of the mountain.

There is a sculpture monument on top of the mountain that Hazel loved running around. I think she was eager to use her legs after riding up on my back. I just wanted to sit!
Andrin thoroughly enjoyed watching Hazel race around and around and around!


Imagine wonderful squeals of delight!

Andrin was given a whole apple to munch during the hike. This is all that was left of it when he was finished!

The packs await...the trip down wasn't so bad. This was especially so due to Hazel's insistance on walking by herself about 1/2 way. A few times I even had to tell her to wait for mommy! I look forward to many more hikes in the months to come as the weather continues to turn towards the warm days of spring and then summer.

2 comments:

Femeke said...

Thank you for being such a great sport! The more our kids get used to the backpacks, the easier it will get for us ... right?!

Theresa said...

What a fund time. It is great to see the babies having so much fun. Hazel is quite the big sister and a lovely singer.

Henley is getting big and strong. I am amazed. What a wonderful pair.